What? Boulder Dash? Never heard of it.
Joking aside, Duck Dash is a Boulder Dash clone. Or, to be precise, it's a clone of Emerald Mine, which is a clone of Boulder Dash.
It's still under development, but you're welcome to download both the game and the editor. Get 'em while they're free.
The game used to be called Treasure for Pleasure, but I decided to rename it when I noticed an official Boulder Dash game called Treasure Pleasure.
[ Top ]
- Smooth scrolling graphics at 60 FPS *
- Stereo sound with distance-based volume of individual sounds
- Online levels with high score lists
- Configurable random level generator
- Reversible gravity
- Supports digital joysticks (tested using Retro Joystick Adapter v2.0)
- Multiple resolutions in a window or full screen
- Level editor available
* Provided your PC can keep up, of course.
[ Top ]
- Up/Down: Move up/down
- Home/End: Go to top/bottom (only in load menu)
- Left/Right: Change option (if available, marked by < and >)
- Enter/Ctrl/Space: Select option
- Esc: Go back
- Arrows: Move
- Ctrl+Arrows: Nudge
- Shift: Place dynamite
- Space: Time warp
- Home: Quicksave
- Esc: Menu/Pause
- R: Quickload/Retry
- Shift-R: Retry
- G: Generate new level (only on randomly generated levels)
- H: View high scores (only on online levels)
- S: Enable/disable sound
- Q: Quit to main menu
[ Top ]
December 12th 2013
- Added dynamite. This can be picked up and placed by the player. To place dynamite either press Shift or, if you're using a joystick, hold down the fire button for one second without moving. Note that when dynamite is placed it is also lit and can no longer be picked up. It will explode after 1.6 seconds. Dynamite will also explode if hit by falling boulders or bombs.
- The gem counter has been moved to the second line from the top and is now placed next to a small emerald instead of "Gems:". This line now also shows the amount of dynamite the player has.
- The sound effects pitch variance now has more, uh, variance.
November 9th 2013
- Added beacons. These can be nudged to attract ghosts for a period of time.
- Game: Your rank on the list of online levels is now updated when you view a high score list. Previously, you had to return to the main menu and then re-enter the list of online levels to view your updated rank.
October 26th 2013
- Game: The list of online levels now shows your best rank on each level, based on the name you last entered on a high score list.
October 22nd 2013
- Game: Fixed a bug that's been around for a long time but hadn't been noticed until now: An object leaving a magic wall could be replaced by another object moving into the same square.
October 21st 2013
- Game: Fixed stupid bug that appeared in the previous version: When playing a level with no time limit, the player would die after 0.2 seconds.
October 20th 2013
- Game: The HUD (score and time, etc.) is now visible while entering a high score.
- Game: Fixed bug: When submitting a high score with the same details as an existing entry, except for the date, the wrong high score would be highlighted.
- Game: Fixed bug: When leaving time warp the player would sometimes freeze for a single cycle, causing more time to elapse compared to moving the same distance without time warp.
- Game: Fixed bug: When completing a level the last move didn't count towards the time elapsed.
- Game: Fixed bug: It was impossible to do anything at the very beginning of a level and (in most cases) immediately after quickloading.
- Game: Added a decimal to the clocks for extra precision.
- Game: Scoring has been increased by a factor of 10. Points are also awards for fractions of time left, for example 24 points for 2.4 seconds.
- Because of the time and scoring changes, all online high score lists have been cleared. Also, it's no longer possible to submit high scores in previous versions of the game.
October 2nd 2013 part 2
- Game: Forgot to include the state of gravity in quicksaves.
October 2nd 2013
- Game: You can now quicksave by pressing Home. When you have quicksaved, pressing R will act as quickload instead of retry. If you have quicksaved and want to restart from the beginning, press Shift-R. Note: Quicksaving is free, but quickloading costs 250 points each time.
- Game: Added number of deaths to the high score lists.
September 27th 2013
- Game: When launching the game it now checks if a new version has been released. This can be disabled in Settings.
- Game: Amoeba now grows faster the larger it is. This may need some fine-tuning.
- Game: Boulders and bombs can no longer roll out of mud.
September 17th 2013 part 2
- Game: Fixed bug that caused boulders to crush sapphires and crack nuts when landing on them directly from mud.
September 17th 2013
- Game: Added options to randomly generated levels.
- Game: Added time warp. Hold Space to make everything go faster. Useful, for example, when waiting for amoeba to grow.
- Game: A little notification will now be displayed when completing a level, dying, or running out of time.
- Game: Added scrollbars to lists where necessary.
- Game: Re-ordered main menu.
September 15th 2013 part 2
- Game: Fixed a bug that would crash the game just before entering a high score on a level with animated objects.
- Game: High score entries with the same score are now shown with the same position.
September 15th 2013
- Game: Added high score lists to online levels.
- Game: Added in-game key H to display high score list.
- Game: Changed the look of all menus.
September 8th 2013
- Game: Added Load Online Level. This allows you to load a level from the Duck Dash server. I've added a bunch of levels created by my father.
- Game: Changed Load Level to Load Local Level.
- Game: Added in-game menu when pressing Esc. This also pauses the game.
- Game: Added in-game shortcut Q to quit to main menu.
- Game: Added a little color to the selected menu item.
August 28th 2013
- Added emeralds and sapphires stuck in walls. These can be blown free by explosions.
- Editor: Added Tools|View gem statistics. This shows the level's total gem value (excluding gems from amoeba and magic walls).
- Fixed a bug that could crash the game on levels with huge amounts of amoeba or magic wall.
August 22nd 2013
- Game: Gravity can now be reversed by nudging a gravity button.
- Game: Added a few gravity buttons to randomly generated levels.
- Game: Sapphires and nuts can now be crushed and cracked only when stationary.
- Editor: Added gravity button.
- Editor: Added "Reversed gravity" checkbox in Level Properties to allow levels to have reversed gravity from the start.
August 10th 2013
- Game: Added Settings menu with Display Mode and Display Resolution. Only resolutions with 32-bit color at 60 Hz are supported. By default the game will run in a window at the highest resolution that's smaller than your desktop (on both dimensions).
- Game: Made a custom load menu because the default Windows file dialog isn't rendered when running in full screen. Decided to use it when running in a window as well.
- Game: Time Left and Time Elapsed now stop counting when the player dies or exits.
- Game: Removed list of controls from bottom right. Will probably be put on a help page at some point.
- Game: Removed performance information from bottom left. Can be toggled by pressing D, which also shows amoeba sizes.
- Game: Moved level title and creator to bottom left.
- Game: Added keyboard delay/repeat to menus.
- Editor: The scrollpanel is now resized when starting a new level or opening a level. Didn't notice this until now.
August 6th 2013
- Editor: In the Level Properties you can now specify the number of gems needed to open the exit.
- Game: The exit will now open only when you have collected enough gems. The upper left corner shows the number of collected and needed gems.
- Game: Scoring has changed as follows: Emeralds give 25 points and sapphires give 75 points. If you collect more than you need, you are awarded double points. When you reach the exit, you will be awarded one point for each second of time left.
- Game: On randomly generated levels you now need 200 gems to open the exit.
August 3rd 2013
- Editor: Implemented Edit|Level properties... You can now specify title, creator, time limit, and magic wall time limit.
- Game: Added display of time limit, elapsed time, title, and creator.
- Game: Magic walls are now activated independently.
- Game: Moved help text to bottom right.
- Removed obsolete minimum level size of 4 x 4 when loading levels.
July 17th 2013
- Editor: Added Text Mode which allows you to add text to your levels.
- Left click in the level to add text.
- Right click on existing text to edit.
- Drag text to move it around.
- Drag right margin to adjust width.
- To delete text, either edit it and remove everything in the field, or drag the text outside the level.
- Game: Added text rendering.
July 13th 2013
- Game: Fixed a bug where pushing anything from inside an auto-closing door would cause it to be stuck open and the player would be unable to enter it.
July 11th 2013
- Added doors and keys. Doors open and close automatically when you walk through them (provided you have the matching key). You can also open and close doors by nudging them. A door that has been opened by nudging will stay open until nudged again, allowing anything to pass through.
- Game: Dirt is now dug away in a slightly rounded fashion. This also applies when nudging.
- Editor: Fixed a few objects being rendered incorrectly in the "Selected" section of the sidebar.
July 9th 2013
- Bombs can now sink into mud. If they leave the mud and land immediately they won't explode. This allows you to transport bombs vertically.
- Added entities "boulder in mud" and "bomb in mud".
- Editor: Widened the sidebar and re-arranged the contents.
July 7th 2013
- Changed the title to Duck Dash. Not sure if this is the final title.
- Added rounded walls.
- Made acid walls rounded.
- Editor: Implemented Tools|Check level... This will also be done automatically whenever the level is saved. Here are the current requirements for a level to be considered valid (note that this does not guarantee that the level is solvable; you could easily create an impossible level if you wanted to):
- There must be exactly one entry.
- There must be at least one exit.
- Acid must be properly formed. That is, all 6 of the acid objects must be used together in the same formation as in the editor sidebar, the only exceptions being that the top left and top right parts may be used in any combination and that the middle parts may be repeated.
- Editor: Prevented the Grid checkbox from moving around when resizing the window.
- Game: The game will now refuse to play invalid levels.
July 6th 2013
- Editor: Added Edit|Resize level... to the menu. This allows you to set the level size from 2 x 1 or 1 x 2 up to 400 x 400. Note that very large levels may cause the game to lag depending on the speed of your computer.
- Editor: Added File|Exit to the menu.
- Editor: Added option to enable grid (from the toolbar).
- Game: Levels smaller than the screen are now centered.
July 2nd 2013
- Game: Added "Load Level" to main menu. This allows you to load levels created in the editor. Note: If you load a level that doesn't have an entry, the game may crash. So don't do that.
- Game: Removed "Entity Test Level" from main menu.
- Game: Changed how restarting randomly generated levels works. Pressing "R" now restarts the last randomly generated level, while pressing "G" generates a new level.
- Game: Added an exit to randomly generated levels.
June 29th 2013
- First public version of the game and editor.
[ Top ]
|Main Menu Photo:
- Peter Liepa and Chris Gray for creating Boulder Dash.
- Kingsoft for creating Emerald Mine.
Boulder Dash © First Star Software, Inc.
Emerald Mine © Kingsoft GmbH
[ Top ]
- December 12th 2013
- 2.74 MB
On first run, the game will create the folder "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Picco Development\Duck Dash". This folder is used for game settings.
Duck Dash: Level Editor
- December 12th 2013
- 1.68 MB
You only need to download this if you want to make your own levels.
[ Top ]